Thursday 28 October 2010

What makes you a good student?

Popi is just fabulous - for a nearly 8 year old bitch I think she looks like a very 'yummy mummy' :) On a different note see below :)

Today I read something really interesting by Susan Garrett, she wrote:

"Many years ago I wrote an article for a very popular Dog Agility Magazine. The article entitled "On Being A Good Student" was a popular one, I received many emails and positive comments about it.
Today I decided it would be worthwhile to share the concepts of how to be a good student  once again. So I sat down in a quiet room and thought about all of the students I have had over the years. Certainly there are those that have stood out for one reason or another. 

First there are the great students. The sponges, the ones that can't get enough information. The ones that seem to improve right before my eyes and in no time at all, are amazing dog trainers in their own right.
On the other end of the spectrum are those students that stand out because they were a pain in my a**. The ones that I may have only taught for one day but they left an impression on me many years later. I recognize as an educator we can learn from everyone. Those that are a challenge give me insight into what holds people back from learning and what holds me back from reaching people with my message.
And there are the students that I really thought would be brilliant but ended up falling short. What held them back?"
Well it really made me think that on the whole I am so grateful for all of the amazing people I teach, I feel honoured and privileged most of the time to be working with many 'great,' students, thankyou all, you know who you are xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx